Insurance Can Be Complicated

But It Doesn't Have To Be

Here at Finlan, we’re a team of insurance professionals, but we’re also policyholders just like you. As such, we know how frustrating it can be to get the runaround when you have questions about your coverage – so we strive to give you the answers you need up front! Below we’ve gathered some of the most common insurance questions to bring you answers to these FAQs.

Don’t see your question here? Give us a ring directly at (734) 453-6000 or contact your insurance agent. We’re always here to help!

Contact Us
  • Towing/Roadside Assistance Information

    Auto Owners

    Road Trouble coverage from Auto Owners is available 24/7 and includes jump starts, car lockouts, tire changes, gas delivery, and towing. To claim, call the toll-free number listed below and a representative will verify your coverage and provide assistance. Road Trouble may not be automatically included in your basic auto policy, so talk to your Finlan agent about adding it today!

    1(888) 869-2642

    Cincinnati Insurance

    When you choose Cincinnati’s Personal Auto Plus Endorsement, you expand your coverage to include Roadside Assistance, Trip Interruption, Lock Replacement, Air Bag Replacement, and more! Need assistance? Call the number below.

    (888) 242-8811

    Frankenmuth Insurance

    Owners of Comprehensive and Collision packages from Frankenmuth Insurance are qualified to receive 24/7 towing and roadside assistance services. This includes emergency fluid delivery, dead battery jumpstarts, lockout service, minor mechanical aid, and more! Drive with confidence, knowing that whatever the road brings, Frankenmuth has you covered. Get the help you need now by contacting Frankenmuth’s friendly and responsive customer service team at the number below.

    1(800) 234-4433


    Comprehensive Roadside Assistance is available through your Hagerty Plus Plan from Finlan Insurance. Guaranteed flatbed towing by dispatch operators who understand the care of classic cars, you can rely on roadside assistance 24/7 in the US and Canada. To request roadside assistance, call the number below. Or, to upgrade to Hagerty Plus, contact us today!

    (877) 922-9701

    Citizens Hanover

    If you are enrolled in The Hanover Insurance Group Citizens Platinum or Connections Auto Policy you can have confidence that you’re supported 24/7 with leading emergency roadside services. In the event that you’re stranded with a disabled vehicle, their towing partners will transport it to the nearest repair shop, at no cost to you. Or, you can request the mechanic of your choice and be reimbursed up to $150 on the towing bill. Requesting the help you need is easy, just log into your Hanover app, and easily view and select the services you need.

    (800) 799-6977


    Progressive Roadside Assistance will cover towing service, tire changes, locksmith service, fuel/fluid delivery, and winching. If you have roadside assistance included in your Progressive plan, all you have to do is call the number below to claim it. Looking to add it to your policy? Contact your Finlan agent!

    1(800) 776-2778

    The Hartford

    Roadside Assistance from The Hartford covers common emergencies like towing, battery swaps, and lockouts – A perk of their Comprehensive Auto Coverage Plan. If your auto policy includes towing and labor coverage, you automatically have access to their nationwide roadside emergency network. Just call the number listed below to claim it. If you don’t have roadside assistance, contact us today for more information!

    1(800) 322-7789


    Travelers Roadside Assistance is available in two packages: Basic and Premiere. The Basic package provides towing service up to 15 miles and general roadside services. Meanwhile, Premiere offers towing service up to 100 miles, trip interruption coverage, personal property coverage, and roadside services. Don’t have Roadside Assistance on your policy? Add it for as low as $1/month today! Call the number below to report your roadside claims.

    (800) 252-4633

  • How do I update my insurance billing info?

    To update your insurance billing info, give us a call and one of our processors will help you personally. Or, feel free to visit Our Partners page to locate the phone number and website for your carrier – you can then update your information yourself directly with the carrier. Some carriers do require you to contact them directly in order to update your information, but we are always happy to help provide you with guidance.

  • How does my auto insurance work if I lend my car to someone?

    It’s a common misconception that auto insurance follows the driver. In reality, it follows the car. If you lend your car out to a friend and they get into an accident - the damage is still your responsibility. In order to protect yourself, make sure that you have adequate coverage so that you don’t end up footing the bill for someone else’s mistake. Depending on the auto insurance carrier and plan you select, your coverage will vary. We’re here to help you understand all of your coverage options. Give us a call!

  • How does my auto insurance work if I rent a car?

    Depending on your policy, your personal auto insurance may extend to a rental vehicle to pay up to the policy limits for damages caused by an accident. If you’re not covered, or if you’d prefer extra protection, there are a couple alternatives. Some auto insurance companies offer special rental car protection polices at affordable rates, or the rental car company will offer coverage in the form of a collision damage waiver or loss damage waiver. One major factor that you should be aware of is your carrier’s loss of use policy in the event you were in an accident, so you can avoid being stuck with an expensive bill from the rental company. Loss of use varies by carrier, but we’re happy to help you understand what your policy covers or help you find a policy that includes loss of use. Give us a call today!

  • Why do I have PIP on my auto insurance when I have health insurance?

    Required in the state of Michigan, Personal Injury Protection (PIP) is insurance that covers medical expenses due to an auto accident.  This may sound like health insurance, but there are a few differences. Why do you need both? There are PIP benefits that are not included in health plans that are essential to protecting yourself and your passengers. If the person who injures you in an accident does not have insurance, PIP covers your medical bills, has no deductible, and pays out benefits until your policy value is drained. It also covers lost wages, expenses of any injured passengers, funeral expenses, and accidental death benefits.

  • What’s the difference between Excess and Full PIP?

    Excess Personal Injury Protection insurance (PIP) only pays for the portion of medical expenses that your health insurance does not cover. Full PIP insurance covers all accident-related bills.

  • Why do I have wage loss coverage on my auto policy when I am on disability or retired?

    Wage loss coverage on your auto policy is still very important even if you are retired or on disability because of the way your insurance policies may interact with each other in the event of an accident. For example, your private disability insurance may have auto exclusions or high deductibles and in the event of an auto accident if your auto and disability plans conflict, you could end up either never getting paid or experiencing a lengthy delay in receiving payment from the carrier. With wage loss on your auto policy, you can be sure that your auto policy will pay wage loss first and you don’t end up without coverage due to complicated exclusion clauses. While this may sound complicated, there is no need to worry. We are always here to help, so give us a call today and we’ll be happy to explain how your current coverage works and provide any advice on how you can protect yourself going forward.

  • Do I have to add a child to my policy when they get a permit? If not, when?

    Some insurance companies require that teen drivers be added to your policy when they get their permit, so it’s best to check with them directly, or contact us for information on your plan. If your insurance company does not require them to be added, the State of Michigan only requires a driver to be insured once they get their license - either on your policy or their own.

  • What can I do to lower my premium(s)?

    While your premium is based on a variety of factors, there may be ways to lower your rates. At Finlan Insurance, we work hard to make sure that your coverage is best suited to your specific needs, this allows us to keep your premiums as low as possible. Another great way to save money is to purchase coverage in bundles (having one or more policy from the same insurance company). Through bundles you may be able to enjoy a discount of up to 30% on each premium.

  • When I purchase a new car, am I covered automatically? If so, for how long?

    When driving a new car off the lot, most companies automatically insure you up to the same level as the current listing(s) on your policy for up to 4 days until you contact your insurance provider to update your information. For example, if you purchase your new ride after business hours or over a holiday, you’re covered until you can contact your provider.

  • Why do my rates change when I have not had a claim/moving violation/etc.?

    Claims, accidents, and violations aren’t the only things that can affect your rates. Factors such as inflation can increase costs, which means that your premium will change to cover the current cost of your coverage. Making changes to your policy can also cause rate increases. For example, if you add a new car it may cost more to repair or replace than an older one, therefore your premium will rise to accommodate the change in value. In addition, statistics from the Insurance Research Council report a rising number of claims in recent years which has forced insurance companies to raise premiums in order to cover their costs.

  • I need to file a claim. What do I do?

    In the event that you need to file a claim, and are not involved in an emergency situation, please contact us and we will help you review your specific situation so that we can identify the best solution for you. If your circumstances are urgent, find your carrier here and contact them directly. Have questions about the submission process? Give us a call!

  • I need to make a payment, what are my options? Are there fees?

    To make a payment on your policy, contact us at (734) 453-6000 and one of our processors will help you personally. You can also visit the Our Partners page on our website to find your carrier and access your account online. Your payment options will depend on what your carrier offers – online or by mail. Also, when you sign up for your insurance plan, you may have the option to choose whether you’d like to pay in installments or a one-time payment. Generally, you can expect to save more if you choose the one-time fee. Please note that while some of our partners do require you to make your payments to them directly, we can always provide you with guidance. For assistance with your account, contact us now, our team is here to help.